CarboJet® CO2 Bone Preparation System
Why Use CarboJet to Clean Bone?
Advantages of a cleaner & drier bone bed:
• Removes lipids / fatty marrow elements from the bone bed to improve bond strength
• Facilitates Tourniquetless TKA, which has been shown to reduce pain and opioid use
• Increases Cement Penetration Into the Bone Bed
• Increases Bone-Cement Interface Strength
• Reduces Opportunity for Micro-Emboli
• Removes Immunogenic Elements from Osteochondral Allografts (OCA).
Aseptic loosening is now recognized as the predominant failure mode in primary knee arthroplasty. A recent study of 938 primary knees found that aseptic loosening was the most common mechanism of failure, accounting for 28% of all failures. In UKA, aseptic loosening accounted for more than 60% of failures. These data underscore the importance of achieving optimal cement fixation via meticulous cleaning and drying of the bone bed.
CarboJet’s CO2 gas jet quickly and thoroughly cleans and dries the bone bed by bringing blood, saline and, most importantly, lipids/fatty marrow elements to the surface where they are easily collected and removed. Cleaning and drying with CarboJet takes no more time than is typically required for drying with lap sponges. The superior cleaning achieved with CarboJet improves cement penetration depth thus offering the potential for a reduction in bone cement interface stress and increased cement mantle toughness. Increased bone-cement interface strength is the result.